Tuesday, August 19, 2014

In the beginning, there was a dollar store.

When I casually tossed 5 herb grow kits in my cart, I never thought I'd become enthralled with my plants. I would have never guessed that I'd be doing something that calms me and delights me daily. But, here I am. What started as 5 easy to grow kits turned into having fresh greens and baby's breath all over the apartment, hanging plants to dry on my walls, 3 cacti, basil, spearmint, sun roses, and chives.

My family has had plants my entire life. My father would come home from work, eat dinner, and immediately head for the backyard, where he had (has) this incredible vegetable garden. This year, he's growing pickling cucumbers, blueberries, zucchini, rhubarb, green beans, peppers, potatoes, and kale (and I'm sure I missed a few others). My mother, on the other hand, has always been a huge fan of flowering plants. Their home has a beautiful back deck area loaded with butterfly bushes, black-eyed susans, and about 10 more flowering plants that, to be honest, I don't know the name of. 

So, growing plants is something that came naturally to me. And, with my father being the vegetable guy and my mom tending her flowers, it seems fitting that I should be the most intrigued by herbs. I've always found herbalism extremely interesting, and I've always sought out natural remedies to common ailments. Plus, about a year ago I realized a knack for cooking, and have wanted to get a better grasp on proper seasonings. 

This blog is for these plants that have become an integral part of who I am, and whom I'd like to become. I'm going to be posting pictures of the plants I have, any new additions to the family, and I'll have some more posts about little tips I've picked up over the years from my talented family.

Thanks for reading, I'll have progress pictures up soon!
-L

No comments:

Post a Comment